Monday, September 20, 2010
new legs
I am unsteady. I wobble on my new, weak legs, trying to support myself. Have I been leaning on you for so long? So long that I've forgotten these legs of my own? Legs to stand tall, legs to stretch, legs to run, legs to go my own way. I have memories of journeys traveled, long distances gone. Can I really do that again? I try to walk. Its so much easier to lean on you. I attempt to run. I can't do it, won't you hold me up again? I look down at myself, so small, so weak. A shadow of what I once was. Shameful. Pathetic. I long to be the strong, independent, graceful me of the past. I look at my journey ahead, long and full of hard work and pain. I glance back at you, tears in my eyes, and I take my first step forward. I stumble and fall. It won't be the last time. But I get back up, and I take another step. I can do this. These are my new legs. They'll carry me to amazing new places. Yes, I will do this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment